Sunday, October 24, 2010

October 19, 2010: The Bird Park

          In the morning, we went to an exotic bird park, which was filled with wonderful birds native to South America, and mostly native to the country we were in, Brazil! Every time I have seen birds of such vivid colors and varieties, their attire seems so flashy and elaborate.  However, the way the Lord has dressed them is not very flashy at all in their natural environment, the jungle.  I thought the little parrots with yellow heads and green bodies were just flashy and for looks, but then when my eyes observed the entire scene, they remarkably resembled the yellow headed and green bodied flowers behind them.  Who would have thought that such vivid colors was actually camouflage in essence! And the great beaks of the toucan and other beautiful birds serves the purpose of hunting its food, not just to flash bright orange, yellow, and blue colors.  God is so creative in how He has shaped and molded each creature to fit its environment so perfectly.

          I have gained a new dislike, however. I used to think that toucans were fun and pretty birds, but they are really mean.  I learned that the reason their beaks are formed as large and open and hard as they are, is so they can eat their prey: baby birds! They are quite vicious creatures! A pretty funny story came about from their ferocity actually.  A girl in our group was wearing flip flops, and a toucan seemed interested in her toes.  It hoped close to her feet, then she backed away.  It hopped closer, and she retreated again.  The chase continued until it ended with her turning and the toucan biting the back of her leg and actually drawing blood! That story is going down in the records of the trip. Student bit by a toucan, check! A couple more exciting things to add to the list of check marks are: I held a parrot! I held a McCaw! and I held a huge snake! God is so good in teaching me things down here, developing preferences, and blessing me with unique experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment