Monday, August 30, 2010

The Set Up

We are staying at a place called the Casa. In its original form, it was a coffee factory.  Now a church owns it and uses half of it while it rents out the other half to ACU for the use of Study Abroad. There are  two doors to unlock to enter, for safety reasons.  There is a computer room, a simple weight/ workout room, two lofts, a classroom, a large kitchen and dining area, an outdoor courtyard, and then the boys, professors, and directors quarters. The girls hall has our rooms in it. Every girl has at least one roommate; over all the set up reminds me of a retreat. My room is equipped with 2 lofted beds, 2 desks, 2 chairs, and 2 wardrobes. It is small and cozy, especially now that we discovered how to turn the heater on.   I enjoy the simplicity of living here, though I feel if I knew what I knew now, I would have packed much differently, I enjoy not having mass amounts of material things at my disposal like I had in the United States. We do not have a car to use, but rather taxis, buses, or our own feet. We do not have a stocked full pantry, but the food and left overs from each meal. We do not have attics filled with useless junk, but rather lofts to sit and enjoy the people around. We do not have cell phones, but rather the internet for minor communication and each other for the rest. We have what we need, and in that, it is still more than enough.

1 comment:

  1. does it still smell like coffee at all? cuz that would be wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete