Sunday, August 29, 2010

Checking in: Montevideo, Uruguay

After nearly 24 hours of traveling, we arrived in Montevideo, Uruguay.  It is a city of charm and beauty, perhaps a combination of Paris, for its architecture, and New York City, for its many buildings so tall and close together, and the Bahamas, for the lovely beaches and vegetation. Paradise? Very close, I dare say. What I expected? Absolutely not. It is more modern in trends, yet its style and layout is antique. Mere pictures hardly capture the beauty of this city.
Let's rewind to the beginning though. Traveling went much faster than I anticipated. Though I only slept maybe 2 hours consistently at the most in each setting, I had enough adrenalin (and coffee) to keep me going. Going through customs, going through multiple security check points, filling out documentation, sleeping on the floor, trying to find things in another language all added to the initial experience of my beginning travels. Needless to say, we arrived safely and the day was just beginning.
Once we arrived, we were sent on our first adventure to explore and learn the town. Scavenger Hunt! Learning how and where to exchange money, buy bus tickets, buy groceries, and buy food were the important skills necessary for survival in which we were required to fulfill. Saturday was another day filled with the adventure of bussing to the middle of town and finding our way back. Sunday has been equipped with Spanish church, outdoor markets, and walking to the beach. I feel as if I have learned so much about where to go, what to do, and even how to speak already after just 72 hours.
This new place is not what I expected, it is much better than I could have imagined. I cannot wait to see what new opportunities God will unveil before my eyes in exploring in this whole new world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment